I had a stellar principal my first year of teaching. Here are some things she did that helped validate my new career choice.
1. She visited my classroom often and would immediately follow-up with things she liked and ONE question for me to ponder.
2. She made me feel like I could try things and take risks. She acknowledged that teaching is hard.
3. She made sure I was set up with a mentor teacher in the building.
4. She didn’t ask me to do anything extra. She told me that my only focus should be my students and collaborating with other teachers in service of my students.
5. She publicly shared something she had seen me do that she liked.