Back-to-school night has the tendency to cause lots of stress. Here are some ideas that help me feel prepared:
- Put your students to work. I turn on some music at the end of each period and have them help me tidy up or organize. I also ask for volunteers to help me with some organizing/set up after school (I bribe them with the sweet promise of a sucker).
- Have some 3X5 note cards available. On one side, parents write a strength they see in their student and on the other side they write an opportunity for more learning, a question, a hope, etc.
- Prepare a presentation. I include the following in mine:
- Who I am, where I come from/my background, and why I teach
- What students will know by the end of the year (it’s OK if this is vague)
- Communication, tech, grading, and homework information
- Directions for note cards with an example for clarification